21 September 2009

monkeys, mamas, and me

It is crazy that I am used to life on the ship. It has become my home. I no longer have to think about which way to turn or what deck I am on, it has become second nature. Military time is still a little confusing but, it’s easy enough to figure out.

The schoolwork is a little overwhelming, we have a lot of reading and we, as students, have to be proactive about our assignments. Professors are so willing to work with us, but we have to make the initiative. Plus it is hard to get anything accomplished when anywhere I go to study someone interesting to socialize with usually passes by.

Two nights ago, I attempted to sleep on the 7th deck with some of my friends. The stars were beautiful, I was comfortable, but there was too much light from the teacher’s lounge, and a lot of chattering from other students, even at 1 am when I was really trying to fall asleep. So I grabbed my sleeping bag, and workout mats, and retired to my cabin, where Kelly Rose was already sleeping.

I took the first dosage of malaria medication. It tasted so nasty, but I guess it’s worth it. I am not trying to get malaria, and it has given me some really vivid dreams. I wouldn’t say nightmares, but the dreams were so real. I am hoping this may help with my goals of lucid dreaming.

It has been a little disappointing not receiving as many emails as usual, I guess that my family is getting used to my absence (hint, hint, nudge, nudge: I hope this will guilt you into emailing me more). Kelly Rose and I have considered emailing each other.

I am still in awe that I am actually on this voyage. Kelly Rose bought a world map to put on our wall and I wake up everyday amazed of all the places I get to experience.

Every night there are a series of films, documentaries, and entertainment. Last night, there was a documentary on female circumcision in Africa. It was so disturbing that I could only watch the first few minutes of it. I am a little worn-down by the social injustice and poverty that I am witnessing first-hand and learning so in-depth about. Sometimes it is hard to stay positive but there are good people and good programs out there. I have been thinking about how I want to spend my future. Whatever path I choose, or that chooses me, I hope to be an activist for justice.

We will be porting in Tema, Ghana tomorrow. I am planning on exploring the city of Accra on Tuesday, and potentially meeting with some women from the organization Global Mamas. It is a micro-loan org that strives to help women gain independence. You should check out their website www.globalmamas.org. Their goals remind me a lot of Muhammad Yunus, who won the Nobel Peace prize in 2006 for the Grameen Micro-Loaning Bank he founded. On Wednesday and Thursday I will be doing an overnight through SAS called “Volta Explorer.” I will get to swim at the base of the largest waterfall in Ghana, and hike through the rural area, known for the indigenous monkeys found there. I think the hike has us cross the Volta River 11 times. I am participating in a Habitat for Humanity project on the last day of Ghana. This will be my first service trip on the voyage.

2 comments:

  1. A little bit of advise, something you have noticed... that people are busy back home, and it not that you aren't in their thoughts... It just that family,friends, and even lovers get wrapped up in everyday life. Emails and phone calls get less frequent, but it doesn't mean that they are forgetting about you.

    When you get back if will be as if you never left, and the only ones who will want to listen to your travel stories for more then 15 minutes will be other travelers. :)

    Looking forward to hearing those by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i for one miss you terribly and think of you often and haven't sent you one email this whole time!!!! shame on me!!!! xoxox~

    ReplyDelete