31 December 2011

Ups



Am I a vampire? No, I know what you are thinking, this isn’t the introduction to another vampire saga. Sleep just hasn’t been as regular. I guess it makes sense. As I examine my body, the list of injuries increases daily. At the age of twenty-three, my bruised up legs, cut up feet, weakened knee, throbbing headache, and urinary tract infection have me feeling like an eighty year old woman. At least the bugs and lizards don’t bother me anymore. It may sound like I am complaining but I will not accept your pity, for I am exactly where I want to be.

Let’s rewind a little bit. About two months ago, I left Arcata. A small town in Northern California, Arcata, it sits perfectly nestled between the giant Redwoods and the North Pacific coast. I am convinced that I have and will not ever live in a more beautiful place for the rest of my life, that is, until I settle there for good someday. Aside from the spiritual connection I felt with the geographic location of Arcata, the community I lived in was amazing.

The beautiful family I left makes traveling hard and easy. It’s difficult being away from my beloved friends. I am jealous of their playful shenanigans that I know are still in full action despite my absence. Yet, at the same time, I have their full support and anytime I need anything, they are a mere phone call away. And their encouragement has been invaluable.

As I fall asleep at night I think about how I might live my life differently. And my only conclusion is that I wouldn’t. Even though it’s hard here, feeling very isolated and alone. I really am having the time of my life. I snorkel beautiful reefs, see amazing sunsets, mastered the art of mosquito hunting, made friends with the lizards and bush cats, learned that a gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs, began to enjoy reading for both pleasure and knowledge, started paying attention to the news again, appreciate my parents more, the list goes on and on. I guess I’m just saying, maybe more for my own benefit than yours, even though I am sitting alone on my futon, in a little pain, I am happy and grateful to be right where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment