03 January 2012

Caribbean Breeze



My heart once again light, flutters with excitement.
As I embark further on this adventure, sitting at Joe's Beach Bar at Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, I can't help but to once again possess THE STOKE. Things are looking up and not just my walk home.
I am waiting to watch an outdoor movie that plays every Monday night on Water Island. The only way to get to Water Island is by boat or a small passenger ferry from Crown Bay in Charlotte Amalie. There are only 130 residents and everyone gets around on golf carts. Water Island feels safer than other islands, I guess because it is so secluded and the only people living there are the elite and vacationers. I took the ferry over early and met some vacationers from Canada, they told me I looked lonely and insisted I join them. I've actually gotten very comfortable flying solo, but it is just assumed that if you are alone, it's not by choice. I was glad for their company and chatted with them for a while.
After the movie, I hitched a golf cart ride with two older fellows back to the ferry dock, and waited there with the rest of the St. Thomasers. Usually the ferry ceases to run after 6:30 but a special exception on movie night allows riders to get back to St. Thomas 15 minutes after the movie. A half an hour after waiting (everything is island time), Bill, our captain docked up and helped us all board.
In all the time waiting, I met a crew of boys that happened to be room mates with one of my Coco Blue co-workers. Calling my Rose, because of the print on my romper, the offered me a ride home to Red Hook, because they were headed their to party anyways. I gladly accepted. When we arrived at the parking lot, a predicament arose. With 9 passengers and a Jeep Wrangler, the ten minute car ride was transforming into a scene from a circus. I opted out and went to call a cab. Unfortunately, the cabbie told me to wait in the parking lot next to the jeep. The boys insisted that I help them reach maximum capacity. So, I looked around, ran over, threw my back in, and hoisted myself in. Ridiculous. Fun. Unsafe. But, we all survived.
I meet with Pamela tomorrow to discuss the potential chef/mate position on her private, luxury 44' Catamaran. And before I hung up asked if I would be available to go to St. Maarten (Dutch and French East Caribbean Island) next Tuesday.
I love it here, the islands are captivating my heart, and I am finally nestling in.

Mini castles afloat in the field of blue,
each flying their flag,
As the sun dips once again,
magnifying a path for me
I gaze out at the silhouettes,
each prospectively facing the wind.
Exactly where I'm supposed to be
my soul, refreshed,
is put to ease,
thankful for the Caribbean breeze.

1 comment:

  1. Why did you stop your blog? And did you get the wonder women that Adam left for you when he was there? He left it with Emilys sister.

    ReplyDelete